Unacquainted Landmarks: Lower Swedish Cabin



I recently moved to Upper Darby / Drexel Hill. Other than the fact that Tina Fey grew up here, I wanted to see what other historic events, places, etc. my new neighborhood had in store. Through searches, I found out that one of the oldest log cabins in the US was right here in Upper Darby Township.







I knew I eventually want to visit this historic site and I finally did. It was interesting to see and the route to get there was intriguing as well (see my video below).  I was surprised that this existed and I am pretty sure that most Philadelphians don't actually know about it (although it is only miles away from the city).


For a second I thought the PA Lottery was onto something as a cabin appears in their logo at a position that would relate to the position of the Swedish Cabin to the city's monuments. However, the cabin in their logo is not the Lower Swedish Cabin but yet a garnish to their representation of the Pennsylvania landscape.


Source: PALottery.com

Anyhow, while most people know about the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross's House, and even the Rocky Statue, I am sure that this close-by landmark goes unknown by many. I hope that this post enlightens my readers and acquaints them with a "new" local monument.





My search for the cabin is in this video:






Whatchu think Philly?

Comments